Friday, July 29, 2011

"Welcome to Sherwood!"

I supose now is as good a time as any to try out my writing skills. I know not weather I shall do well or fail miserably, but at least I will be trying.
Robin Hood has always been a favourite story and hero of mine. When I was small I loved the disney cartoon where Robin was portrayed by a fox. When I grew older I watched The Adventures of Robin Hood staring Errol Flynn and Olivia de Haviland. Seeing Errol Flynn Playing one of my favourite hero's made me love him all the more, and to me Errol Flynn IS Robin Hood.



After years of admiring him I finally read the book about a year ago. I had started one version several years back but I put it back on the shelf when I realized Maid Marion wasn't in it. Now not that I can't sit through a book without romance, because I can and I have. I just would rather have her in it if you know what I mean. There are so many different versions of the tail, and so many diferent books as to make one dizzy. I hardly know where to start.
Robin Hood was a heroic figure and outlaw in english folklore. He was skilled in Archery, swordmanship and above all slipping out of the enemys hands. Originally he was a yeoman (a free man holding a small estate, land or just a prosperous farmer among other things) where as in more recent times he most often is depicted to be a knight or an aristocrat deprived of his lands and title.
(I sincerly hope I am not boring you, doubtless I have no followers so I am more than likely boring no one.)  
The book I read , I believe is a little more true to the old tales; however Maid Marion is probably not in them since she is not in many other books to my knowledge, but then again I really don't know.  I read a very thick version; Robin Hood by Paul Creswick illustrated by N.C. Wyeth.
In this Book its starts out with him very young. His Name is Robin Fitzooth of locksley the son of a forest ranger. He sets out on a journey to Gamewell with his uncle George of Gamewell (imagine that) and also to visit Nottingham Fair. Robin aquires an arrow belonging to a hunted outlaw Will o' th' green. He uses that arrow in a tournament and wins it all the while not knowing the trouble it would cause him. Robin Recieves the golden aroww and places it into the hands of the fair Maid Marion (who happens to be the sherrifs daughter in this version)

When he has not been with his uncle for long he recieves news that his father is dying and returns home only to find that he has already died. So, naturaly Robin request to take his father position. He is refused and furthermore is accused of being one of Will o' th' greens Men because of the arrow in the tournament.  Robin eventually hasn't much choice but to join the men in green (Will o' th' Green and his men).

 Robin grows to be one of the head men in the band of outlaws and when Will is killed the men in green give him Will's position. Meanwhile the Sherrif thinks the both of them are dead so Robin takes on the Name Robin o' th' Hood. When King Richard regains his throne, Robin is also restored to his rightfull position and of course as well all know he marries Maid Marrion in the end ( there is infact a little more to the ending but I won't spoil it for you). And so, here ends my tail of Robin Hood.





No comments:

Post a Comment